Check out these related products
- $13.99 List price $17.99Save $4.00
- $13.75 List price $15.00Save $1.25
- $12.95 Was $14.74Save $1.79
- $12.80 List price $16.00Save $3.20
- $15.87 Was $17.57Save $1.70
- $9.36 Was $10.49Save $1.13
- $19.14 List price $25.00Save $5.86
About this item
About this item
Important Made in USA Origin Disclaimer: For certain items sold by Walmart on Walmart.com, the displayed country of origin information may not be accurate or consistent with manufacturer information. For updated, accurate country of origin data, it is recommended that you rely on product packaging or manufacturer information.
The daughter of Malcolm X describes growing up fatherless after her father's assassination, her mother's determination to protect her children from the barrage of media, her discovery of her father's contributions, and life in the Shabazz household.
"Ilyasah Shabazz has written a compelling and lyrical coming-of-age story as well as a candid and heart-warming tribute to her parents. "Growing Up X" is destined to become a classic."
February 21, 1965: Malcolm X is assassinated in Harlem's Audubon Ballroom. June 23, 1997: After surviving for a remarkable twenty-two days, his widow, Betty Shabazz, dies of burns suffered in a fire. In the years between, their six daughters reach adulthood, forged by the memory of their parents' love, the meaning of their cause, and the power of their faith. Now, at long last, one of them has recorded that tumultuous journey in an unforgettable memoir: "Growing Up X."
Born in 1962, Ilyasah was the middle child, a rambunctious livewire who fought for-and won-attention in an all-female household. She carried on the legacy of a renowned father and indomitable mother while navigating childhood and, along the way, learning to do the hustle. She was a different color from other kids at camp and yet, years later as a young woman, was not radical enough for her college classmates. Her story is, sbove all else, a tribute to a mother of almost unimaginable forbearance, a woman who, "from that day at the Audubon when she heard the shots and threw her body on ours, never] stopped shielding her children."
|Number of Pages:||235|
|Number in Series:||1|
|Author:||Shabazz, Ilyasah , McLarin, Kim|
|Publisher:||Random House Inc|
|Publication Date:||January, 2003|
|Digital Video Formats:||Paperback|
|Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H):||5.25 x 8.25 x 0.75 IN|
Ask a question
If you would like to share feedback with us about pricing, delivery or other customer service issues, please contact customer service directly.
Questions will be checked against our question guidelines and posted within five to seven business days.
Consider these popular products
- $15.73 List price $19.99Save $4.26
- $15.12 List price $24.99Save $9.87
- $9.99 Was $14.46Save $4.47
- $7.44 List price $10.00Save $2.56
- $6.97 Was $16.84Save $9.87
- $5.76 List price $7.99Save $2.23
- $11.76 List price $19.99Save $8.23
- $10.77 List price $14.99Save $4.22
- $12.36 List price $16.00Save $3.64
- $11.20 List price $16.00Save $4.80
- $7.98 Was $9.99Save $2.01
- $11.51 List price $15.00Save $3.49