James K. Polk: The American Presidents Series: the 11th President, 1845-1849
Check out these related products
- $18.05 List price $23.00Save $4.95
- $18.24 List price $25.00Save $6.76
- $17.96 List price $25.00Save $7.04
- $19.95 List price $24.95Save $5.00
- $16.62 List price $24.99Save $8.37
- $16.54 List price $22.00Save $5.46
- $14.03 List price $22.99Save $8.96
- $23.58 List price $25.99Save $2.41
- $18.87 List price $28.00Save $9.13
- $12.01 Was $12.72Save $0.71
- $14.28 List price $19.99Save $5.71
- $12.75 List price $17.95Save $5.20
- $11.56 List price $16.00Save $4.44
- $10.46 List price $14.00Save $3.54
About this item
About this item
Important Made in USA Origin Disclaimer: For certain items sold by Walmart on Walmart.com, the displayed country of origin information may not be accurate or consistent with manufacturer information. For updated, accurate country of origin data, it is recommended that you rely on product packaging or manufacturer information.
Examines the political career and presidency of James K. Polk, noting his service as Speaker of the House and governor of Tennessee and his role in the disputed Oregon boundary and war on Mexico.
The story of a pivotal president who watched over our westward expansion and solidified the dream of Jacksonian democracy
James K. Polk was a shrewd and decisive commander in chief, the youngest president elected to guide the still-young nation, who served as Speaker of the House and governor of Tennessee before taking office in 1845. Considered a natural successor to Andrew Jackson, "Young Hickory" miraculously revived his floundering political career by riding a wave of public sentiment in favor of annexing the Republic of Texas to the Union.
Shortly after his inauguration, he settled the disputed Oregon boundary and by 1846 had declared war on Mexico in hopes of annexing California. The considerably smaller American army never lost a battle. At home, however, Polk suffered a political firestorm of antiwar attacks from many fronts. Despite his tremendous accomplishments, he left office an extremely unpopular man, on whom stress had taken such a physical toll that he died within three months of departing Washington. Fellow Tennessean John Seigenthaler traces the life of this president who, as Truman noted, "said what he intended to do and did it."
|Publisher:||Henry Holt & Co|
|Publish Date:||Jan 2004|
|Number of Pages:||192|
|Shipping Weight (in pounds):||0.75|
|Product in Inches (L x W x H):||5.75 x 8.5 x 0.75|
Ask a question
If you would like to share feedback with us about pricing, delivery or other customer service issues, please contact customer service directly.
Walmart does not sponsor, recommend or endorse any third party product or service, or any customer ideas or advice.
Questions will be checked against our question guidelines and posted within five to seven business days.
Consider these popular products
- $16.15 List price $27.00Save $10.85
- $19.04 List price $24.99Save $5.95
- $7.63 Was $9.05Save $1.42
- $12.30 List price $13.00Save $0.70
- $12.58 List price $20.00Save $7.42
- $14.09 Was $17.95Save $3.86
- $6.95 List price $7.99Save $1.04