Check out these related products
- $17.12 List price $28.95Save $11.83
- $28.04 List price $35.00Save $6.96
- $25.62 List price $30.00Save $4.38
- $25.69 List price $35.00Save $9.31
- $18.91 Was $21.58Save $2.67
- $25.84 List price $28.00Save $2.16
- $16.11 Was $20.47Save $4.36
- $19.28 Was $24.49Save $5.21
- $20.32 List price $25.00Save $4.68
- $20.99 List price $25.00Save $4.01
- $18.86 List price $25.00Save $6.14
- $16.59 Was $21.61Save $5.02
About this item
About this item
Important Made in USA Origin Disclaimer: For certain items sold by Walmart on Walmart.com, the displayed country of origin information may not be accurate or consistent with manufacturer information. For updated, accurate country of origin data, it is recommended that you rely on product packaging or manufacturer information.
Hardcover, Univ Pr of Mississippi, 2012, ISBN13 9781617031830, ISBN10 1617031836
Barbara Stanwyck (1907-1990) rose from the ranks of chorus girl to become one of Hollywood's most talented leading women-and America's highest paid woman in the mid-1940s. Shuttled among foster homes as a child, she took a number of low-wage jobs while she determinedly made the connections that landed her in successful Broadway productions. Stanwyck then acted in a stream of high-quality films from the 1930s through the 1950s. Directors such as Cecil B. DeMille, Fritz Lang, and Frank Capra treasured her particular magic. A four-time Academy Award nominee, winner of three Emmys and a Golden Globe, she was honored with a Lifetime Achievement Award by the Academy.
Dan Callahan considers both Stanwyck's life and her art, exploring her seminal collaborations with Capra in such great films as "Ladies of Leisure," "The Miracle Woman," and "The Bitter Tea of General Yen"; her Pre-Code movies "Night Nurse" and "Baby Face"; and her classic roles in "Stella Dallas," "Remember the Night," "The Lady Eve," and "Double Indemnity." After making more than eighty films in Hollywood, she revived her career by turning to television, where her role in the 1960s series "The Big Valley" renewed her immense popularity.
Callahan examines Stanwyck's career in relation to the directors she worked with and the genres she worked in, leading up to her late-career triumphs in two films directed by Douglas Sirk, "All I Desire" and "There's Always Tomorrow," and two outrageous westerns, "The Furies" and "Forty Guns." The book positions Stanwyck where she belongs-at the very top of her profession-and offers a close, sympathetic reading of her performances in all their range and complexity.
|Number of Pages:||272|
|Series Title:||Hollywood Legends|
|Publisher:||Univ Pr of Mississippi|
|Publication Date:||February, 2012|
|Digital Video Formats:||Hardcover|
|Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H):||8.50 x 11.00 x 0.25 IN|
Ask a question
If you would like to share feedback with us about pricing, delivery or other customer service issues, please contact customer service directly.
Questions will be checked against our question guidelines and posted within five to seven business days.
Consider these popular products
- $12.18 Was $13.26Save $1.08
- $10.56 List price $17.00Save $6.44
- $11.79 Was $12.46Save $0.67
- $13.30 List price $17.95Save $4.65
- $15.49 List price $16.95Save $1.46
- $18.69 List price $26.00Save $7.31
- $13.95 Was $16.36Save $2.41
- $21.53 List price $28.00Save $6.47
- $12.12 List price $15.95Save $3.83
- $14.40 List price $16.00Save $1.60
- $11.09 Was $11.93Save $0.84