Check out these related products
- $19.04 List price $26.00Save $6.96
- $16.89 List price $20.00Save $3.11
- $22.86 List price $30.00Save $7.14
- $18.15 List price $24.95Save $6.80
- $11.18 List price $18.00Save $6.82
- $12.43 List price $17.00Save $4.57
- $12.38 List price $14.00Save $1.62
- $12.57 List price $17.00Save $4.43
- $10.89 List price $12.00Save $1.11
- $13.92 Was $15.22Save $1.30
- $20.20 List price $24.95Save $4.75
Empire State of Mind: How Jay-Z Went from Street Corner to Corner Office
Consider these popular products
- $15.23 List price $24.99Save $9.76
- $15.74 List price $24.99Save $9.25
- $9.75 List price $15.99Save $6.24
- $11.85 Was $14.04Save $2.19
- $12.18 Was $13.26Save $1.08
- $19.21 List price $24.95Save $5.74
- $20.83 List price $35.00Save $14.17
- $19.49 List price $29.99Save $10.50
- $16.77 List price $26.00Save $9.23
About this item
About this item
Important Made in USA Origin Disclaimer: For certain items sold by Walmart on Walmart.com, the displayed country of origin information may not be accurate or consistent with manufacturer information. For updated, accurate country of origin data, it is recommended that you rely on product packaging or manufacturer information.
Hardcover, Penguin Group USA, 2011, ISBN13 9781591843818, ISBN10 1591843812
"I'm not a businessman-I'm a business, man."
Some people think Jay-Z is just another rapper. Others see him as just another celebrity/mega-star. The reality is, no matter what you think Jay-Z is, he first and foremost a business. And as much as Martha Stewart or Oprah, he has turned himself into a lifestyle.
You can wake up to the local radio station playing Jay-Z's latest hit, spritz yourself with his 9IX cologne, slip on a pair of his Rocawear jeans, lace up your Reebok S. Carter sneakers, catch a Nets basketball game in the afternoon, and grab dinner at The Spotted Pig before heading to an evening performance of the Jay-Z-backed Broadway musical "Fela " and a nightcap at his 40/40 Club. He'll profit at every turn of your day.
But despite Jay-Z's success, there are still many Americans whose impressions of him are foggy, outdated, or downright incorrect. Surprisingly to many, he honed his business philosophy not at a fancy B school, but on the streets of Brooklyn, New York and beyond as a drug dealer in the 1980s.
"Empire State of Mind" tells the story behind Jay-Z's rise to the top as told by the people who lived it with him- from classmates at Brooklyn's George Westinghouse High School; to the childhood friend who got him into the drug trade; to the DJ who convinced him to stop dealing and focus on music. This book explains just how Jay-Z propelled himself from the bleak streets of Brooklyn to the heights of the business world.
Zack O'Malley Greenburg draws on his one-on-one interviews with hip-hop luminaries such as DJ Clark Kent, Questlove of The Roots, Damon Dash, Fred "Fab 5 Freddy" Brathwaite, MC Serch; NBA stars Jamal Crawford and Sebastian Telfair; and recording industry executives including Craig Kallman, CEO of Atlantic Records.
He also includes new information on Jay-Z's various business dealings, such as:
* The feature movie about Jay-Z and his first basketball team that was filmed by Fab 5 Freddy in 2003 but never released.
* The Jay-Z branded Jeep that was scrapped just before going into production.
* The real story behind his association with Armand de Brignac champagne.
* The financial ramifications of his marriage to Beyonce.
Jay-Z's tale is compelling not just because of his celebrity, but because it embodies the rags-to-riches American dream and is a model for any entrepreneur looking to build a commercial empire.
|Number of Pages:||246|
|Author:||Greenburg, Zack O'malley|
|Publisher:||Penguin Group USA|
|Publication Date:||March, 2011|
|Digital Video Formats:||Hardcover|
|Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H):||6.25 x 9.00 x 1.00 IN|
Ask a question
If you would like to share feedback with us about pricing, delivery or other customer service issues, please contact customer service directly.
Walmart does not sponsor, recommend or endorse any third party product or service, or any customer ideas or advice.
Questions will be checked against our question guidelines and posted within five to seven business days.