Rated 4.4 out of 5 by 11
Rated 5 out of 5 by AuntLuc Good value
I have used this repeatedly over the past month. I have recommended it to one of my relatives.
A few things that a newbie needs to know:
1. Use the function to reduce the sound of wind.
2. Definately remember to use the Menu to select the HD setting (UXP)
3. Be prepared to either charge or have a spare battery.
4. You will need am ecternal flash or a light to use in the dark.
The auto-zoon mic is an improvement over the JVC GZMN30BUS, but not as good as having an external mic as with more expensive cameras. I have used it for over a month without any kind of software malfunction, which had been a problem with my Kodak.
Rated 4 out of 5 by camman16 A simple camcorder that does its job well.
This was an awesome camcorder for the money that was paid. But looking here on the website to take a look at the camcorder was a bit confusing. First of all, the picture on this page of the JVC camcorder is not the actual camcorder, or at least that's what I get on my screen. The picture I see is actually the GZE200 JVC camcorder, not the GZHM40. That might not be the case for you, but keep that in mind. This camcorder does record at 1080p, which the camcorder shows as being called "UXP". I stay at the "XP" setting, which is probably the 720p. It records video nicely and sharply, but one thing that disappointed me was that I can't seem to take actual photos or "stills" with this. Other models had a round button on the top that takes the photos, but on my model, the only thing it does is switch from manual settings to I.Auto, or "Intelligent Auto". Also the battery, as mentioned in other reviews, isn't that nice. It stays alive for around 40 minutes, so I would recommend getting spare batteries.But on the nice side, it does well in low light, and even has "time-lapse"! Its audio is crisp and clear, and its video preforms great. But just keep money for getting an extra battery, and since a memory card is not included in the package, store some change for that too. So, overall, I'm really pleased. The camcorder did what it said it would, and while I'm not a fan of the included software, I still think it works nicely as well.
Rated 5 out of 5 by pwmjr Love it
Not for the professional, but great if you want really good videos.
Great zoom, but consider an extra battery.
Rated 5 out of 5 by Gracejgirl This is a wonderful camcorder really good for taking pics and does not break when u drop it a bunch of times trust me i know ive done droped my alot zoom is really good hope if u get it u like it
Rated 5 out of 5 by Nick18909 Great Camera! Too Good?
I got this to make a summer film. I wanted something high quality. It is actually too high quality for the free Windows Live Movie Maker. I had to buy the new program because it took way too long to render. I highly recomend this to someone that has some experience before you just play around with it.
The only reason i said meets expectations 4/5 is it is really small, it does fit in the palm of your hands, but I bought a big tripod, so it looks a little funny with a giant tripod with such a small camera on top. Durable too, it took a 4 foot drop onto pavement on my driveway and has no problems.
Rated 5 out of 5 by SeattleRulez GOOD QUALITY!!!
I may be a SONY fan, but JVC has outdone themselves with this camcorder. It may be one of the cheapest HD camcorders around, but it proves its great value through easy use, High Definition Quality, and many features. I love it and I recommend it to people who want great quality video for a great price (compared to most camcorders under $200).
Rated 3 out of 5 by BRIANofVA Liked the camera, but did not like the software
1) quality of the recordings was excellent in normal conditions and pretty good in low light.
2) the battery that comes with it only lasts 40 mins at best. go to jvc.com for additional batts
3) it is very compact and my hand was actually too big to comfortably hold the camera and press the record button on the back
4) in full 1080 quality (UXP) you can transfer the clips to a computer for playback BUT you cannot add UXP clips to a movie. the provided software converts the UXP clips to XP quality.
5) the provided software (which is loaded on the camera) is proprietary by EVERIO and is the only software you can use to edit clips or compile clips into a movie due to the file format the clips are saved in. i tried using windows movie maker and it attempts to convert the file format, but to convert a 2 min clip... 45 mins had passed and it still wasnt halfway done.
6) i returned the camera after 4 days of testing it mainly because of the software/file ext issues. I contacted JVC and EVERIO multiple times to no avail. if you dont care about the software then this could be an ideal camera for you!
Rated 4 out of 5 by lumberman nice detail high def, good software editing