| || |
How to buy the best LCD TV
An LCD TV buying guide
An LCD TV is a thin, flat-screen television that is extremely flexible in both mounting capabilities and placement options. LCD TVs have a very thin profile, meaning that all LCD TV sizes, even 55" LCD TVs and larger are only a few inches thick. This allows them to be easily mounted on the wall or even hung from a ceiling. When considering the best LCD TV to buy, there are a number of things that should be considered.
>> Consider the TV's location and size
When deciding which LCD TV to buy, one of the first things to consider is where the TV is going to be used and how big you want the TV to be. The LCD TV sizes that you consider should be based on the size of the room or area that the TV will be used in. For a primary, living room TV, consider 40" LCD TVs or greater. If space allows you to sit between 8 and 10 feet away, consider TVs that are 50" or larger. Smaller screens, such as 26" to 32" class LCD TVs are an ideal option when deciding how to buy an LCD TV for the bedroom, home office, kitchen or even for a camper.
>> Consider TV features
When deciding which LCD TV to buy, there are certain features that should be taken into consideration.
- Screen resolution - When deciding on the best LCD TV to buy, screen resolution is an important consideration. The term screen resolution refers to the amount of pixels contained in a screen. When performing an LCD TVs comparison, it is important to know what the numbers mean when looking at the screen resolution. The first number represents the amount of pixels going from left to right across the screen. The second number represents the amount of pixels going from the top to the bottom of the screen. When deciding which LCD TV to buy, remember that a 720p set will display 1024x768, 1280x720 and 1366x768 pixels. A 1080p set, commonly known as a Full HD TV, will display 1920x1080 pixels. Additionally, if TVs are advertised as LED LCD TVs 1080p, they are full HD LCD televisions with a resolution of 1920x1080 pixels, with LED backlighting.
- Aspect ratio - The aspect ratio stands for the width to height proportion of an LCD TV. Standard televisions have an aspect ratio of 4:3, which means that for every four inches of screen width, there are three inches of screen height. When deciding which LCD TV to buy, remember that HDTV and many movies are shown in wide-screen format, which has an aspect ratio of 16:9. Many LCD TV brands sell models at 4:3, 5:4 and 16:9 aspect ratios.
- Contrast ratio - This ratio represents the ratio of the brightest white color when compared to the darkest black color which the LCD TV can display. The best LCD TVs will have a higher contrast ratio, which means that they are able to display a much wider range of colors. This will give a much crisper, clearer, more vibrant and realistic picture.
- Response time - When deciding how to buy an LCD TV, response time is a measurement of how fast the pixels on an LCD TV can change from displaying total black to total white and back again. Response time is typically measured in milliseconds (ms). The best LCD TVs are those with quicker response times.
- Picture modes - The best LCD TV models will offer different picture modes. This is possible because LCD TV features the ability to process data digitally, as well as manipulate the data in different picture modes to improve the viewing experience. Many types of LCD TVs are able to change picture settings to personalize the picture quality for movies, TV shows, sports events and video games. Many HDTV LCD TV designs also feature video enhancement modes to help smooth out any digital blemishes that may be in the picture.
- Smart TV - Smart TVs are those that can be connected to the Internet in order to access web pages, stream content and utilize entertainment apps such as Netflix, Pandora and Hulu. When deciding how to choose an LCD TV, consider a smart TV with built-in Wi-Fi or Ethernet connectivity. Many different types of LCD TVs include inputs such as DVI or USB so that you can connect your TV to a computer, digital camera, smart phone or video camera.
- 3D TV - This is a feature that is offered on many of the best LCD TVs. A 3D TV is still able to process 2D images just like any other TV. However, when you want to watch something in 3D, you simply switch the LCD TV into 3D mode. In order to be able to view the movie or show in 3D, you will need to wear 3D glasses, which are typically included with the TV.
>> Consider video sources and connections
HDMI is the standard input for LCD TVs. When deciding which LCD TV to buy, simply count how many devices you want to connect and ensure that the TV has enough HDMI ports. Some LCD TVs also include other inputs such as SD-card slots and USB ports. If you have older devices to connect to your LCD TV, you will also need to buy a TV with some analog ports.
>> Consider whether you need a mount or stand
Most LCD TVs are not made to stand directly on the floor. Even the larger models are made to be placed onto a stand or mounted onto the wall or ceiling using special hardware. LCD TV stands are available in many different styles and designs, and most are large enough that you can store other TV and video equipment such as game systems, DVD players and stereo components in them. Some designs even include speakers that can be hooked up to your LCD TV.
There is a lot to consider when buying a new LCD TV. You have to think about the size of the room it will be in, the size of the TV, features and functionality and whether you will hang the TV on the wall or purchase an additional stand. However, even with all of the decision making and things you must consider, buying a new LCD TV is usually an exciting process for the entire family.
See more buying guides
Important Walmart Disclaimer:
Used with permission. Copyright Walmart. All Rights Reserved.
All content provided herein is for educational purposes only. Neither the author nor Walmart.com assumes any responsibility for errors, omissions or contrary interpretation of the subject matter herein. Walmart does not sponsor, recommend or endorse any third party, product, service or information provided on this site.