Choose the best computer speakers for a full multi-media experience
A computer speakers buying guide
Speakers are important computer components to get a full multi-media experience. They come in different shapes and sizes and offer a variety of options for listening to sound. Make these important considerations before you make your computer speaker comparison.
>> Where are you going to use your speakers?
When first thinking about how to buy the best computer speakers, consider where you are going to listen to your speakers. If you want your speakers for the office to stream videos or listen to Internet radio, you may want to consider smaller speakers with decent quality audio. For home use, you can go with bigger speakers and even add a subwoofer and play music loudly without much distortion. Your options change depending on where you are planning to use your speakers. When you buy computer speakers, determine the location first.
>> How many speakers do you need?
When determining how to buy the best computer speakers, consider how many you will need. This consideration is important not only for the power and volume you crave, but also for the space on your desk. The number of speakers of course determines how loudly you can play your music. Two speakers is the standard, but you can always upgrade and buy more as you see fit. With this in mind, you also have to look out for space. You do not want buy speakers that prove too big and blow you away in a small room or buy speakers that are too small and are not powerful enough to fill your space. 2.1 top rated computer speakers are best for mid-sized computer desks. If you have a larger room consider a bigger system. Before shopping for speakers consider your location and decide if you will need to mount one on a ceiling or wall.
>> Consider types of computer speakers
When wondering about the best computer speakers to buy, look at the different types of computer speakers.
- 2.0 is the basic and most inexpensive speaker system. It includes two speakers and no subwoofer. These are best for simple audio and amplification in smaller rooms.
- The 2.1 speaker system is a variation of the 2.0 system. It includes two speakers and a subwoofer. A subwoofer adds lower bass to the audio, which makes for a more complete music experience. Basic 2.1 speaker systems will support stereo sound and add the extra volume. These cool computer speakers are compact, portable and easy to use with other devices such as MP3 and CD players.
- The 5.1 speaker system has better quality and volume. It includes five speakers and a subwoofer, as well as surround sound. The 5.1 system is ideal for gaming and home theater, providing an excellent, vivid and realistic experience. The 5.1 is a great option for playing music from your computer too, especially if your computer is your primary sound system. You can hear more details and the audio is crystal clear.
- The 7.1 speaker system is the most comprehensive of all. It includes seven speakers and a subwoofer. These top rated computer speakers are capable of the highest volume and the most diverse surround sound as well as the best quality audio. The 7.1 speaker system is great for gaming, high definition movies and loud music.
The type of speakers varies based on volume, quality and number. This is one of the most important considerations to make as you determine how to choose computer speakers.
>> Consider inputs
When trying to figure out how to buy quality computer speakers, consider your speakers' inputs. Most speakers have multiple inputs, including a dock cradle and an audio-input. Some computer speaker brands offer products that only have a single audio connection, which means you can only listen to music from your computer. To use your speakers with other devices such as MP3 players, TVs and game consoles, look for desktop speakers with auxiliary inputs. Consider speakers with 3.5mm jacks or RCA cables. Speakers can also connect to your computers using a USB port. These quality computer speakers have their own audio processing and can accept digital audio. Speakers may also have inputs for headphones, which is good for private listening.
>> Consider features you want your speakers to have
When determining the best computer speakers to buy, think about these computer speaker functions.
- Headphone jacks allow you to plug in and listen with your headphones. Headphone jacks are great for listening to music without disturbing others.
- Surround sound can be organic or imitated. Organic surround sound is achieved with multiple speakers placed around the room. Imitation surround sound mimics the experience typically with 2.0 and 2.1 speaker systems. Surround sound is ideal for movies, home theaters and gaming.
- Top rated computer speakers that have wireless capabilities allow you to stream music from the Internet or listen with other devices using Bluetooth. They can also be compatible with AirPlay. There is no need for any wires. Wireless computer speakers are versatile, can be easily moved around and are especially good if room is an issue.
- Wireless/infrared remote helps you turn your speakers on and off and adjust volume anywhere from the room.
As you buy computer speakers, consider these options. Go for speakers that will be most convenient to you and offer the most freedom and flexibility.
>> Consider iPhone/iPad compatibility
As you figure out how to buy the best computer speakers, consider if you want your speakers to be compatible with iPods and iPads. Consider getting Apple's AirPort Express router to connect to your computer speakers using a 3.5mm jack. This will let you play music from iTunes and other Apple devices. Other drivers such as AirFoil will open more options and let you connect to Pandora and Spotify. You can also buy computer speakers with a docking input especially for iPhones and iPads. You connect your devices directly to the speakers and play music. These devices are specifically designed by Apple for Apple products.
>> Do you want to add a subwoofer?
When deciding upon the best computer speakers to buy, ask yourself if you will need a subwoofer. If a standard pair of speakers is not enough or you need more bass in your music, consider adding a subwoofer to your system. Subwoofers deal with the lowest of frequency ranges and can really enhance the quality of your music.
Speakers are important computer accessories. Buying the right ones can really give you many options when it comes to listening to music, watching movies, gaming and streaming content from the Internet. Learn about these electronics and make the necessary considerations to get the most out of the experience.