How to buy a coffee table
A coffee table buying guide
Coffee tables are excellent additions to a living room or family room. You can place items such as magazines, drinks, food and remotes on the table. Use this coffee table buying guide to help you learn how to buy a coffee table that works for your home.
>> Consider the size of the room
There are a variety of coffee table sizes, and the types of coffee tables you look at should be based on the size of your living room or family room.
In addition, consider the other furniture in the room, looking at both size and style. If you find that there is little room to add a coffee table, consider a small coffee table. If you have a large, expansive room, consider a larger sized coffee table to place in the midst of existing furniture.
>> Consider the types of coffee tables
There are different types of coffee tables to choose from depending on your needs. Think about these needs while deciding how to buy a coffee table so you have a better understanding of how the styles will best suit your needs. Some of the different coffee table styles are:
- Modern: A modern coffee table design provides a stylish finish to any living room setup. If you feel that your room has some modern elements, such as neutral black and brown colors, then consider a more subtle, modern piece.
- Unique: A unique coffee table can provide a twist to the living room while acting as a focal point and a conversational piece. If you have bright, vivid colors and an eclectic style, consider a unique coffee table.
- Multi-purpose: If you have a lot of items to keep track of in your living room and you have minimal room and storage options, consider a multi-purpose coffee table with a shelf or drawers. A multi-purpose table is an all-in-one piece. Using one of these tables, you will add to your storage options with shelving and drawers; these tables can even serve as foot stools when they are not being used as tables.
- Traditional: Wooden coffee tables tend to be traditional. They provide a powerful presence in the room that you can use to coordinate with the other pieces of furniture. Also consider antique coffee tables.
>> Coffee table sets
While shopping for coffee tables, take a look at the coffee table sets, which might include two side tables in addition to the coffee table. Place side tables on the ends of the couches or next to chairs for extra storage space.
>> Multi-purpose coffee tables
Consider a multi-level coffee table if you want storage space in addition to a coffee table. These tables might include shelves on which you can place magazines, remotes, TV guides and an assortment of items. Another consideration is coffee tables with drawers or trunk coffee tables with deep storage compartments.
Coffee table designs with built-in drawers provide an area for you to store items. A coffee table with drawers might have multiple drawers in one area of the table, such as to the left or right, or it might have one or two drawers just under the table surface. When considering how to buy a coffee table, take into account your storage needs. Determining the right type of storage is essential for the items that you want to store.
>> Consider a finish for the coffee table
When you're figuring out how to buy a coffee table, after you've considered the coffee table style, coffee table type and your storage needs, it's time to think about the finish. Consider the look and feel of the room where you will be placing the coffee table, and try to find a complementary coffee table design.
|Glass ||Clear, see-through || |
- Easy to clean with glass cleaner
- Looks great with any living room decor
- Comes with a variety of other finishes such as metal and wood
|Stone ||Marble, bluestone, tiled stone, slate || |
- Clean with stone cleaner
- Looks beautiful
- Enhances the appearance of the room
- Comes in a variety of styles
|Wood ||Pine, cherry, oak, maple || |
- Comes in a variety of types
- Easy to clean with wood cleaner
- Comes in many stylish designs
- Can fit well in almost any living room decor
|Metal ||Silver or bronze || |
- Fits well in any living room decor
- Adds a modern touch to the room
- Comes in many styles