| || |
How to buy a bedside table
A bedside table buying guide
Bedside tables, often known as night stands, are accent furniture pieces for your bedroom. These tables, usually placed beside your bed, offer a space to display and store items such as an alarm clock, a table lamp, books and magazines or a framed photograph. There are many different unique bedside tables for you to choose from. When deciding how to buy a bedside table, consider the following factors to help ensure success.
>> Choose a style that suits you
When choosing bedside tables, you probably seek to enhance the appearance of other bedroom furniture by purchasing bedroom furniture sets. Modern, contemporary bedside tables give you metals such as brushed stainless steel and polished chrome as accent pieces. More traditional or antique nightstands are often accented with antiqued iron or brass hardware. When shopping for bedside table designs, keep both your decor and lifestyle in mind, so that your new bedside tables will fit the room, be usable and look great for years to come.
>> Consider size, storage and other features
- Height: When considering bedside table dimensions, the most common height is one that matches the height of your mattress. However, if you sit up in bed and read, or work on a laptop, you may prefer a light source to be a little higher. If this is the case, when choosing this type of bedroom furniture, find a taller table that will boost the height of a lamp. Alternatively, some of the modern, stylish bedside tables are a few inches shorter than the mattress to create a sleek look for your room.
- Area: The area of a bedside table, and the space available in the room are also considerations. If your bed is against a wall, and you only have one bedside table, it's best to go with a larger size. Additionally, if you want an area to display your favorite photographs, ornaments or collectibles, choose one of the larger bedside table sizes.
- Storage: When looking for unique bedside tables, remember that they often become catchalls for a variety of different things. A bedside table is a quick place to put spare jewelry, medicine, books, music players, glasses and many other things. For clutter prevention, consider quality bedside tables that can also be used as bedside storage. Many bedside tables offer you storage compartments such as drawers, open shelves or cabinets.
>> Consider nightstand design
- Simple/basic: A simple or very basic nightstand is usually a small table with a surface area large enough to hold your lamp, book, clock or water glass. Basic bedside tables may include a single drawer, shelf or cabinet for your storage needs. When deciding how to buy a bedside table, remember that a simple nightstand tends to be available in many styles, colors and finishes for easy coordination with your other bedroom furniture.
- Special features: If you prefer unique bedside tables, many designs include special features. An expanded range of size options helps accommodate your space. Unusual materials such as sheet metal or reclaimed wood can suit your style. Other types of special nightstands offer you easy cleaning features or electronics integration. Some cool bedside tables have a built-in safe for your money and valuables. A built-in mini-refrigerator to keep your drinks and snacks cold could be just the touch you need for your stylish bedside table.
>> Consider material
- Bentwood: This wood is steamed until soft and pliable. When determining how to buy a bedside table, consider that bentwood is usually easy to match to your other pieces of bedroom furniture such as chairs and stools.
- Mango: This durable material is ideal for your unique bedside table selection. Mango is extremely hard-wearing and can be polished to a high shine.
- Oak: A traditional wood used to make a variety of different bedroom furniture and furniture sets, oak gives you a durable and attractive option. Many pieces of oak have small burs or knots, which can add a rustic feel to your bedroom furniture.
- Pine: Pine is a very light colored wood with an off-white shimmer that enhances country-style bedside table designs.
- Rubber wood: Rubber wood is an eco-friendly material that is available in a variety of shades from pale cream to light brown. When determining how to buy a bedside table, rubber wood's light and airy look make it an ideal choice for many bedrooms.
- Rosewood: This durable wood brings you elegance that will hold up for many years. Shiny and smooth, rosewood in ivory or in golden brown lends refinement to your bedroom.
- Glass: If you are looking for unique bedside tables with a modern, contemporary feel, glass may be the ideal choice. Glass bedside tables create a feeling of space and light, to look just right with your other furniture items.
- Rattan: Rattan is a type of palm from the continent of Asia. This attractive, sturdy material is well-suited for your furniture and bedside tables.
- Metal: When choosing how to buy a bedside table, consider the open feel a polished metal nightstand can add to your room.
The right nightstand can add practical storage or display options while adding to the decor or style of your bedroom.
See more buying guides
Important Walmart Disclaimer:
Used with permission. Copyright Walmart. All Rights Reserved.
All content provided herein is for educational purposes only. Neither the author nor Walmart.com assumes any responsibility for errors, omissions or contrary interpretation of the subject matter herein. Walmart does not sponsor, recommend or endorse any third party, product, service or information provided on this site.